Powered By Blogger

4.06.2011

Couponing

Okay so this post is perfectly timed, as this new "Extreme Couponing" show started on TLC. . . Now, now, I am not currently being paid to promote this show, but I found it absolutely enticing. Not having had seen the show before this evening, my husband and I headed out to Rainbow for our bi-weekly grocery endeavor (Well typically it should be bi-weekly, but we were slacking a bit. . . our cupboards were pretttty bear). Anyhoo. . . I had been doing a bit of coupon research online and decided to take advantage. I mean, we get ads at our house once every couple days and I figured I'd dig a little deeper. Turns out, those ads we get in the mail, SmartSource, or RedPlum are just advertisements with manufactures coupons. I found that these are different than store coupons, but can be paired with store coupons for even greater savings. There are also a bunch of websites like http://thekrazycouponlady.com/ and http://www.couponmom.com that break down their entire couponing process. With a simple coupon printer download, you can print off coupons on all these website, along with http://www.coupons.com. I also learned the term "doubling." What, might you asks does that mean? Well it means that some coupons enable you to use multiple in one transaction (hence, why we see some people actually making money on an item). For example, if we find a coupon in a RedPlum advertisement that is $1.00 a glade plug in and the coupon does not state that only 1 coupon per item, or no doubling, you can gather up all the $1.00 glade plug in coupons you can find and they will all apply towards your transaction. I haven't gotten merely as ambitious as some of these ladies, but I clipped, and paired the coupons with in-store sales, and came out pretty well.

Now, given my new choice in eating habits, a lot of the coupons coups didn't directly apply to us, but we saved quite a bit! We came home with a longer than usual grocery list


And came out saving over $40.00!


Not to shabby for a first timer, I'd say! Is anyone else a part of this whole couponing revolution? I'd love to hear other peoples thoughts.

6 comments:

  1. WOW! That is awesome! I actually watched that show tonight and uh...sort of became obsessed. I noticed my fiance, who is currently out of state, that I had bad news and found a new addition. I am a big penny pincher and hooked on Dave Ramsey. He laughed. I cannot wait to get started :) Glad it worked well for you. One question though, do most of yours comes form online or both online and in the store couples, as well as newspapers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly, I actually didn't use any online coupons in tonight's transaction. I was a little overwhelmed with all of the websites available to print out the coupons. . Takes some serious organization. Enjoy! Let me know how it all goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I just noticed I spelled many of words wrong (my keyboard is on crack) and I didn't even check them. So sorry. I'll let you know how it goes, hopefully I can at least save a bit for my first time! Loved this post too, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! I'm going to have to look into this. We also get coupons in the mail all the time. I hope you end up posting more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only use the Rainbow ones that get sent to my house, and those are only store coupons...and don't let you use more than one...still nice though when you are getting a deal on things you will buy either way. Watching the TLC show right now.. seems like they are wasting time and money by buying stockpiles of things they will never get to using in their lifetime! Great show though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny you should say that, Katie. I received a Rainbow Foods advertisement for this weeks specials and at the end of the ad in little writing it stated that this Saturday, all manufacturers coupons are doubled! I'll let you all know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete